PhD Candidate on Prefrontal Ensembles, Genes and Higher/Social Cognition in Mice (1,0 fte)
Faculty of Science
Maximum salary: € 2,638 gross/month
Vacancy number: 62.31.13
Closing date: July 1st, 2013
As a PhD student, you will focus on the study of neural dynamics in the mouse prefrontal cortex making use of transgenic modules of neuromodulation and optogenetics, in combination with neural ensemble recordings with arrays of tetrodes and silicon probes, in freely moving subjects. The experiments aim at exploring the links between neural dynamics, memory acquisition and decision making in behavioural situations involving social interactions, and rule-based tasks, in collaboration with the group of Dr Sylvie Granon (Université Paris Sud, Orsay, France). We aim at discovering how the fast dynamics of prefrontal neural networks is affected by neuromodulation, and how that reflects on decision making and social behaviour. You will develop the experimental setup and will be trained in neurophysiology and advanced data analysis.
The Donders Centre of Neuroscience is embedded in the Donders Centre for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, one of the largest concentrations of neuroscience research in Europe (with over 100 faculty members), ranging from human cognition, to clinical studies, to cellular and molecular studies to computational studies, providing an excellent intellectual environment and infrastructures.
What we expect from you
- you have a Master's level background in quantitative sciences, neurobiology and/or neuroscience;
- you have a keen interest in, and the skills for, an interdisciplinary project at the border between neurophysiology and computation.
What we have to offer
We offer you:
- employment: 1,0 fte;
- a maximum gross monthly salary of € 2,638 based on a 38-hour working week;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- the gross starting salary amounts to €2,062 per month based on full-time employment, and will increase to €2,638 in the fourth year;
- you will be appointed for a period of four years. Your performance will be evaluated after 18 months. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years;
- you will be classified as a PhD Candidate (promovendus) in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO).
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Please include in your application your CV, a statement of your motivation in pursuing this particular project, and letters of recommendation and/or names of potential referees.
Peyrache A, Khamassi M, Benchenane K, Wiener SI, Battaglia FP (2009) Replay of rule-learning related neural patterns in the prefrontal cortex during sleep. Nat Neurosci 12:919-926
Benchenane K, Peyrache A, Khamassi M, Tierney PL, Gioanni Y, Battaglia FP, Wiener SI (2010) Coherent theta oscillations and reorganization of spike timing in the hippocampal- prefrontal network upon learning. Neuron 66:921-936
Benchenane K, Tiesinga PH, Battaglia FP (2011) Oscillations in the prefrontal cortex: a gateway to memory and attention. Curr Opin Neurobiol 21:475-485
Granon S, Changeux JP (2012) Deciding between conflicting motivations: what mice make of their prefrontal cortex. Behav Brain Res 229:419-426.
de Chaumont F, Coura RD, Serreau P, Cressant A, Chabout J, Granon S, Olivo-Marin JC (2012) Computerized video analysis of social interactions in mice. Nat Methods 9:410-41
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: Neuronal Networks of Memory
Dr. Francesco P. Battaglia, PI group "Neuronal Networks of Memory"
Are you interested?
It is Radboud University Nijmegen's policy to only accept applications by e-mail. Please send your application, stating vacancy number 62.31.13, to firstname.lastname@example.org, for the attention of ms. W. van der Pluijm, before July 1st, 2013.
For more information on the application procedure: +31 24 3652131